Skip to main content

Reply to "The HS Kid Who Quits & Comes Back"

PitchingFan posted:

In every school, I have coached there are requirements for being allowed to tryout for a sport or be a part of any extracurricular.  That includes behavior in the classroom, one school had every teacher sign off that they thought you had earned the opportunity and if not the player and parents were allowed to meet with AD to discuss.  Grades, my last school would not let you tryout or be in extracurricular if you had a D in any subject.  And lots of other things.

I don't think it is a matter of his ability.  It is whether you trust him.  And as I told my son who coaches high school this year and is dealing with a tough situation with a player they should have cut.  When you keep trouble you get trouble.  Maybe the kid learned but maybe not.

2022OFDAD, I know a lot of travel coaches, most I would say, that if you left their organization in the middle of the season would not let you back.  They would keep your money but would not trust you in the future.  If you are a bottom player who is going to sit the bench then they might let you to get your free money but if you are a starter and quit one week into the season this year and go somewhere else and play, they are not gonna let you back next year.  They would be scrambling trying to fill your spot with an equally level player.  Or maybe you would but no way I would. 

I would agree with pretty much across the board if we weren't talking about a freshman. Also it is pretty obviously a young freshman if he had the option go play spring travel ball with 8th graders.

My gut tells me that he probably won't work in the long run but 14 is to early to quit on a kid who has talent.

Honestly what is down side? he is a now a sophomore with no real influence in the program at a Varsity level, if he is a problem over the winter he doesn't have to make the team. If he is problem during the actual season you nip it quickly and the send the needed message to the rest of the program by cutting ASAP. If he isn't good enough but has ok attitude he will certainly not be back due to lack of playing time...as a coach I see nothing but potential upside and you control all the cards to mitigate any downside.