Skip to main content

Reply to "The Importance of Attending College Games"

3and2Fastball posted:

One of the consistent pieces of advice we see on here is to take your high school kid who aspires to play in college to lots of college games of all levels.

Yesterday I took my  HS Soph son to a Rutgers vs Iowa game in Iowa City & sat in the 3rd Row.  He was able to see up close just how big those players are, how fast they are and how fast the game is, and saw that most of the pitchers were throwing in the low 90's with absolutely filthy secondary stuff.

He also took a lot of interest in the stat sheet in the game program, looking up how many at bats each of the bench players had on the season, and counting up the JUCO transfers on the roster (13 on Iowa).

Personally, I thought it was a great atmosphere for Baseball.  Fantastic stadium.   My kid left very impressed with the level of play and also inspired as he saw up close just how much he needs to keep improving in the weight room, with hitting mechanics, and with his foot speed.

We've previously attended a D3 game and my plan is to take him to a mid majors D1 & a JUCO game this spring as well...  

Were you at the first game or second? My son came in in relief during the second, although the entire game was a bit of a fiasco from the Iowa side.