Skip to main content

Reply to "The Importance of Attending College Games"

We loved going to college games. Back in '95 we lived in Phoenix and went to a number of ASU Sun Devil games. Five year-old son loved to play catch in the parking lot where an errant throw broke the side mirror on a 'Vette. (Not sure if we ever located the owner to pay for the damage, but we did try.) He also liked to "pitch" to me behind the dugout during games. His mechanics were rudimentary but still garnered a few positive looks. 

We went there not just at game time, but also other times to see players hitting off tees and in the cages, catchers catching pop-ups shot straight up out of a pitching machine, stretching and other preparations and bullpen work.

His favorite memory was going between the outfield wall and the outer fence and retrieving dozens of BP and game balls. My favorite (aside from enjoying the experiences with him) was sitting a few rows behind Yogi Berra and his pal, Joe Garagiola. I made a big deal of those two to son, but he no longer remembers.

Later we moved to Virginia and spent a lot of time at Old Dominion University Monarch games and camps when we were not at Tides games. That Coach Tony Guzzo recognized and singled out potential in an eight year-old kid still amazes me.