Skip to main content

Reply to "The importance of grades in high school."

quote:
Did they put the same effort maximizing, investing, and following up on the academic side of the HS career?

Very good point. Our son told us young that he wanted to play college baseball.We sat him down before HS started and told him we would support this dream, on the condition that he had good grades.He is a smart kid, so we set the bar high at a 3.5.

Freshmen year and sophmore year he had mandatory study 2 hours a night Sunday through Thursday.Friday and Saturday were his, unless he had a huge project, and he knew what he had to do. Sunday after 5 pm Play station was off for the week, until Friday night.He balked at first, his friends didnt have these rules.

We did not budge, I am a big supporter of structured time.They need it.Why do you think college baseball teams have study hall? Structured time to study.

This worked well for us.Junior year son did not feel he need structured time, husband agreed with him.I did not but let him try to do it his own way. 3.8 freshmen and soph. year.It did drop, junior year.So when it came time to drive, I told him again 3.5 or no keys.He graduated with a 3.5 and good SAT scores.

Now my son has no learning difficulties, and he only took one AP class so a 3.5 was not that difficult, it just required time.

When he went to camps, he took his books.He studied in the car, in the hotel room etc.

Yes colleges make some exceptions, but you better be really good.My son went to a JC last year, 3.4 GPA. College that recruited him told him that when he looked at sons JC grades he noticed that he dropped during baseball season, and he almost didnt want to recruit him, but then he looked at his HS grades and saw that he was consistent in the classroom.They have a 35 man roster limit they cant have 10 guys barely hanging on.

If they cant maintain good grades in HS and learn study habits, it will be very difficult to maintain them at college with baseball.