Skip to main content

Reply to "The importance of summer ball for college position players as related to the draft"

My son , rising college Jr, was supposed to play in the Coastal Plains League this summer. He sat most of the first part of his Sophomore season this past Spring, then got an opportunity in April and took over the starting catching job for the remainder of the season.  He had a contract to play and his coach asked him to stay in the college town over the summer to lift, hit, gain weight, etc.  He felt like it was a request similar to 'optional workouts'.  The coaches 'request' was more of a directive, so he stayed.  I'm bummed b/c while the catching schedule would have been a grueling one, he missed out on live ABs and exposure to scouts going into his Jr year.  I'm trying to have faith that if he plays well this year it won't matter that he didn't play this summer, but I can't help feeling like he has potentially cost himself money (if he is lucky enough to even get drafted) and interest from Scouts. He also hasn't gotten much live AB this summer.He played college league last summer and it really helped to prepare him for Soph year.  I guess it's too late now...so I guess I'm just looking for reassurance/opinions on whether or not this was a missed opportunity? Tsk in advance.