Skip to main content

Reply to "The Insanity Continues"

My son adjusted fine to the BBCOR bat and the 60x90 field without lessons, hits in a prime spot, plays multiple positions, and is the #2 pitcher on his 14u team. 

Why are you holding him back when he could be living the jet set life!  I'd have only sent my kid away on weekends if I got to keep the frequent flier miles.  But seriously, there are lessons (couple of times a month to check mechanics) and then there are LESSONS.  LESSONS  are those recurring bi-weekly events (paid six month ahead) where the dad sits in the corner and prays for the kid to be enlightened and magically become athletic.  I cannot tell you how many times I've seen some dad working with some poor kid saying "just like they told you at the lesson" - when what the dad really needs to do is buy the kid a pitchback and let him spend a few fun hours in the backyard each night.  I doubt CACO is saying lessons are inherently bad, I just think she has seen too many instances where some dad (or mom) thinks lessons are the magic key and put way too much pressure on their kid when they don't "blossom" after a few thousand bucks. (CACO - please correct me if I misspoke).

On the Daddy-ball front, I have seen several instances where the coach's son is an absolute fixture at SS and some pitching.  Oftentimes the kid is one of the better infielders, but for some reason SS is the golden position.  If a parent likes the coach and SS just happens to not be your goal, then these coaches can be great and give your kid lots of reps at 2B and 3B.  And, as has been said here before, you really don't want your kid to be the ace pitcher until around age 16.  They can still pitch and improve, but you really don't want you kid to carry 50% of the pitching load - unless they shell out for first class tickets for the parents.