Skip to main content

Reply to "The Insanity Continues"

This has been a fascinating discussion with many entrenched perspectives regarding the purpose of youth sports and the best way to accomplish that purpose.  First let me identify why I believe youth sports are valuable in training up young people.

1. Success at sports regardless of talent improves with work.  Provided a young person is taught the correct method for throwing a baseball they will improve with repetition.  They may never throw 80 or 90 or 100 mph but they will improve and that lesson will help them in life.
  2. You learn to fail a LOT in baseball.  When the best of the best succeed between 35% and 40% when batting young people will need to learn to control their emotions and never let failure become a barrier to future success.  This again is a life lesson.
  3. You become part of something bigger than yourself.  Most great accomplishments in life, family, community or corporation require you to commit to something where you will be a part of the accomplishment.  Baseball teaches that lesson.

I could probably have another 10 reasons but you get the point.  So how do you best accomplish this for your children.

• Make sure they play in a situation where instruction is fundamentally sound
  • For players under 12 allow them to play in talent appropriate situations.  This might be rec leagues it might be local or regional travel but the idea is that while you are still learning the fundamentals you need some success to keep you coming out
  • Between 11 and 13 try to define with your child what your individual objectives for baseball are.  As a father of 5 boys I have learned that not everyone of them will have the same goals that I do (That is my learning moment).  If at 11 your goal is to play high school varsity baseball you might want to consider playing in a league that uses a slightly larger field (54' / 70' etc.) and allows live stealing.  But still do not jump beyond your capabilities, stretch your competition but if you are a solid player locally and want to play HS playing for an elite regional travel team may put you on the bench where your progress is stopped. 
  • 13-14 If you want to play varsity ball consider moving to the 60'6" / 90' diamond with a skill appropriate team.  If you love baseball find a way to play with your friends whether it is rec travel or sandlot.

I write all of this to say their are no right or wrong answers to the question of local / travel what age / when is too early, when is too late.  I, like many posters have seen talented kids burn out and late bloomers sit the bench and then be key contributors at older ages.  I have seen rec players compete in HS varsity and I have seen travel players fail to make the team.  On average if you have received good instruction (that might define where you need to play) played competitively and know what you want in your baseball experience there will be a place for you.

Make sure your children learn the fundamentals, let them have fun, stretch their competition but don't drive them to failure and your baseball experience can be powerful and positive for life. 

Last edited by MDBallDad