Skip to main content

Reply to "The "intent" to throw hard"

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa:
I think the intent to throw @ high velocity is important to be able to throw fast (hard). Son went to a high school that had graduated Jess Todd (in the majors). Behind him was a kid who threw 93. My son began throwing 90s and was one year behind the 93. Logan Chitwood was one year behind my son and he was drafted last draft & is in the 90s. Coincidence or pattern?

Jess Todd doesn't throw hard to get people out, but rather a cut fastball he hides well. He may have developed greater velocity than when he was first drafted, but he never threw higher than 90 his first year or two in pro ball. He also was traded to a team that needed him, where as in the cardinal organization he would have sat for awhile, no matter how hard he threw. He was on the 40 man roster I think (for show off trade purposes)before his trade, which means, he was going to be in the mix in Cleveland. His one of the lucky ones who is learning on the ML field.

I don't think intent has much to do with it, son hit 97 the other day and he said he had no intent of throwing it that hard and was surprised, as he was the other few times he did.

I am a firm beleiver in living in your comfort zone, then reaching back and giving it all you got when the situation arises, other than that, as I understand, throwing harder before you are capable of can cause injury (not necessarily to arm or shoulder either). I think in the cases you mentioned, it was there, development and proper conditioning, mechanics brings it to the surface.
JMO.