Skip to main content

Reply to "The irony of it all."

As summer after junior year started we figured the offers were about to pour in. My son was using baseball to advance to the top of the academic ladder. The first weekend he tore his MCL and PCL. All the contact stopped. Fellow posters talked me off the ledge.

Early in the fall my son fell while rehabbing and separated his shoulder. When he had his first post surgery appointment I learned something about my son. The doctor told him he wouldn’t be playing in the spring. He wouldn’t be able to begin to throw until May.

My son looked the doctor in the eyes and snapped, “I’m going to be in the opening day lineup. And you’re going to help.” Given the ortho worked with pro athletes he understood some people have a different mental make up.,

The short version of the rest of the story is he was in the lineup as DH two weeks after tossing the sling. The four top academic colleges were out of the picture. He went to a next tier down, very good college and played ball. It was a great experience. He’s right where he would be as a young professional businessman had he attended a top academic.

What I learned is if a kid wants to play college ball nothing is going to get in his way. It just may take extra effort and a “can’t stop me” attitude.

Last edited by RJM