Skip to main content

Reply to "The Last Time"

I'm gonna encourage you hopefully.  I enjoyed the trips but as my son got older he drove himself a lot and was on team trips rather than individual trips like when he was younger.  He was blessed to play with a few teams that were fully paid so not as many father/son trips or he played in Atlanta where he drove himself to the games and I went and watched when I knew he was pitching.

There is also something different about the college experience.  I drove up for most of the midweek games, 3 1/2 hours each way, even though he did not play many because he was pitching on the weekends.  We went to dinner and talked after the games.  The SEC weekends were exciting and got to experience him being a part of the real deal against incredible competition.  We went to dinner almost every Friday and Saturday night and other family were there when he was home.  But I will never forget the week in Hoover, the regional, and super regionals, and the time in Omaha spent with him each night after the games.  Just hearing how he felt and what it was like to experience baseball from his viewpoint.  I reckon my encouragement is if he is playing college ball there is still 4 more years to go.  Hopefully your son allows you to be a part of it like ours has.  I have seen some of his teammates who shunned their parents during the journey and that is a shame.  Enjoy this part of the ride but know the ride can continue.