Skip to main content

Reply to "The Last Time"

spizz - thanks so much for those great thoughts!

For the record, spizz's son Sam struck my son and several others out so I know that young man can play!! All the best to him in the future Smile

Since there has been a nostalgia aspect to this thread, my favorite memory is still my son's first at bat in college. His first experiences were as a defensive replacement only late in games. We were not complaining in this role however because it beat the redshirt role he had earlier in the season.

For several games, if his turn in the batting order came up, they pinch hit for him and he was a little frustrated by that. It was St. Patties day 2006 and I left early from watching live stats of the game that night to go out with colleages for drinks after work. When I got home, I checked the hsbbweb and my friends Smokie and BigGuy had posted that my son won the game in his first ever at bat - a walk-off basehit/line drive in the bottom of the ninth. I was stunned and had no idea what had happened. A moment later my son called and it was indeed one of the happiest moments of our lives. I told him one of my most familiar refrains "No one listens to their Dad" It is code-speak for all the times I tried to raise his spirits when he was fighting his way up from the bottom. There is no doubt in my mind that hit changed his entire career. I'll be the first to admit there is luck involved. I do believe in the expression however "The harder you work, the luckier you get" I hate to keep doing this, but every time I think back on these things, I get emotional cry