Skip to main content

Reply to "The lead question of the 2021 CWS ..."

@adbono I agree it was a classy move and his post-game was just as classy. The players all work their rears off and buy into a system and for the most part leave Vandy well-prepared for what's next in life. I think a lot of the vitriol comes from the scholarship advantage they have because they are a well-endowed smaller private school. They are able to tap into scholarships that are available to all students which gives them a huge financial recruiting advantage over other school. Some other schools have that option or other types of options (like Hope in GA) but Vandy's success has made them a target--the fact that Corbin has used it so effectively and recruits so young frustrates other fan bases. Then you add in the Whistler and the non-stop coverage of a few of their players (they must have shown Leiter and Rocker's parents in the stands 1000 times) and it's all over in terms of public perception. 

FWIW, I think he runs a great program but you have to be a kid that responds to how they operate. When my son heard Corbin say, "I can look at how neat a kid's locker is and learn a lot about him" (implying that if it's messy the kid is not going to be detail-oriented or committed on the field), he lost interest in Vandy. He has ADHD and organizational functioning is his weak point and he knew that the last thing he needed was a coach that was going to pre-judge him because his cubby wasn't neat.

Just my two cents.