Skip to main content

Reply to "The Liars Club"

quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
I think people should sit back remember the real reason an athlete goes to college is an education.
I don't believe this is true for a majority of D1 football players, almost all D1 basketball players and a reasonable number of D1 baseball players.

quote:
You don't hear students betch because professors leave for greener pastures.
A professor is usually a one semester interaction. A coach and his style will have a three or four your impact on the student-athlete's profession.

quote:
Besides, when looking at the big picture these issues only surface when pompous programs hire pompous coaches.
Yep, look at the history of the program and hiring within the program and chances are you make a good decision.

Pick the college and the program, not the coach. Chances are if a good coach leaves a good program (not under the hot light of an NCAA investigation) chances are the next hire will be a good one.

I'd agree with all except the comment about "professors." Many students select colleges based, partly, on the faculty within their major. Just as with athletics, the relationship with professors in your major is a multi-year affair. And just as with athletics, the departure of a top professor can be devastating, particularly to those who who were working as, or planned to work as grad assistants.

The reason you don't hear about it is that very few are making high six figure or seven figure salaries or get the media attention a coach does. Never the less, there is recruiting that goes on within academia and many professors make moves to institutions that offer more money, better faciilities, courses more aligned with their interests, a high level of student and perks. Not much different from what leads coaches to move on.

I moved across the country to attend college because of a specific faculty member who had published a number of works that I admired. I was lucky enough to make the baseball team as a walk on who had a firm grasp of my athletic ability and my limitations. (second string first baseman and pinch hitter in lead-off situations)