Skip to main content

Reply to "The Liars Club"

quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
rz1 quote: I think people should sit back remember the real reason an athlete goes to college is an education.
I don't believe this is true for a majority of D1 football players, almost all D1 basketball players and a reasonable number of D1 baseball players.

I'd like to give kids more credit and think that they understand the statistics that show that over 90% of NCAA athletes will not be professionals in that sport. I understand the "dream" concept, but not long after the first day of school "plan B" takes affect and whether they like it, or even admit to it, they change from a "wanna-be professional athlete", to a "professional student" who is also a collegiate athlete.

I guess there will always be that group of "numb-skulls" who go to college for athletics only and most will quickly fade into that cavern of "academically ineligible". However, I believe that if you exclude the group of athletes who drop out during their first year, you will find that the tag "student/athlete" is alive and well in respect to D1 programs as a whole.

Many ex-athletes on this site have admitted to not being the "prize student" and athletics were the main reason for college. However, when all was said and done they did not play professional sports but are using that college education toward their career. That IMO is a student/athlete. To finish school is hard enough, to finish and have athletics involved is more of an accomplishment.
Last edited by rz1