Skip to main content

Reply to "The "marketing" game??"

quote:
Originally posted by Hirrel 13:
ALL-
Financially, lets say my son goes to a division 3 college and plays ball with them his 1st year and is successful at it. how then do i market him to a division 2 or 1 college. also is it a good idea to start him in a lower division of college such as a junior college?.

Very difficult to "market" from DIII to DI or DII.
In part you need an NCAA approved release from the DIII in order to talk to another NCAA school. Second, the NCAA has a ridiculous rule that allows the player to transfer and play but a player cannot transfer from DIII and receive any athletic scholarship money for the first year. If you are to "market" from DIII, that may actually only happen by playing in summer wood bat leagues where your son will play against DI and DII players and if he proves he can succeed, he may get some interest. On the other hand, don't think the grass is greener at the DI. You may be better off at the DIII. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Mine went to a DIII, did pretty well, had some pretty good options to transfer to DII and DI's so we know the process and pitfalls reasonably well. BTW, he stayed at the DIII.