Skip to main content

Reply to "The NCAA field of 64"

A couple random thoughts as I drink my morning coffee and look over the brackets for the first time with a fine tooth comb.....

I'm looking forward to seeing some teams I haven't been able to see all year.  Missouri State, and Dallas Baptist for example.  I've had more than my fill of SEC and ACC on our local airwaves.  Give me something new to see in HD....please!

There is no surprise UCLA is the top seed.  They just have that right formula of great starting pitching, excellent defense and manufactured offense that never stops because their guys are fast and can hit.  Boy, they are good.

The Big 10 got a lot of teams in this year..more than I ever recall.  Let's see how they do.  We've got lots of HSBBWeb posters' sons at blue blood baseball schools and many underdog schools from non-power conferences.  Rest assured parents of underdogs, I'll always be pulling for YOU!  I "love me" some UNDERDOG!

Columbia (Ivy League) and UVA (ACC) are 3 seeds in their respective Regionals.  Columbia is getting a lot of respect for winning the Ivy three years in a row.  If the committee is going to put UVA in as a 3 seed should they have bothered,  or put a different at-large school in? It sure looks like an after thought.  Just thinking out loud.

I'm waiting for Louisville to explode.  Are they the UCLA of the East but with bigger bats? Their style of play reminds me of UCLA.  If an ACC team is fortunate enough to make it to the CWS, how many times are we going to hear "it has been 60 years since Wake Forest won the College World Series"?  I'm setting the over/under at 637 times we'll hear the announcers remind us Wake Forest won the NCAA CWS baseball title in 1955.