Skip to main content

Reply to "The NCAA is just plain evil"

cabbagedad posted:

Interesting article, thanks Blue10. 

I read the whole article and I have a different sentiment than others.  

Generally, I understand everyone's disdain for some of the over-regulation of the NCAA and the whole front they put up about being "for the athlete" as opposed to being the money machine that manages most of college athletics.  But, I have yet to hear a solution that wouldn't seriously jeopardize the great environment that is college sports.  I, for one, don't think that paying the athletes is the answer.

But, back to this particular incident...

I don't agree with and don't fully understand why the NCAA did not promptly making this player eligible for immediate play.  However... "Semerdjian told D1Baseball that the NCAA’s legal team had expressed willingness to reach a common sense resolution, but that its tone abruptly changed after the judge’s ruling."  “I really thought there was a point the attorney for the NCAA and I were talking about resolving it in good faith and letting Keaton play, then we got completely shut down,” So, it appears that the NCAA was perhaps well on it's way to granting the player the eligibility he requested but backed off when the case was brought out into public court.  I can certainly understand them not wanting to allow the precedent and having every player who doesn't like the NCAA bylaws take them to court.  

As long as we have Title 9 athletes will never get paid. That is just a reality.