Skip to main content

Reply to "The ODDS of playing"

Why would anyone assume that the player who fails to succeed at baseball will be unsuccessful in life?  I personally know several wealthy explayers who became very successful after their playing days ended. We all know nonbaseball players that are unsuccessful.

The odds on being successful in life are different from one person to the next. Just like baseball. 

Personally I think success is anyone that's happy and doing what they want. Most people never reach that goal. 

Anyway here is my point...

One young person has a goal of becoming a brain surgeon. He has the intelligence and desire to accomplish that.  The money it costs will be a great investment.  He has no talent or interest in being a baseball player or to participate in any sport beyond high school.  The odds on him becoming a doctor are very good.  The odds on him being a professional baseball player is ZERO.  Not 2%, not 1%, but ZERO %

Another young person has a goal of being a Major League player.  He has the talent and desire to accomplish that.  He lacks the intelligence and interest to become a brain surgeon. The odds on him making the Major Leagues is better than the overall odds. The odds on becoming a brain surgeon or even a doctor are ZERO!

Different odds for each individual! The overall percentages are not correct. Reality (the odds) is not really real.