Skip to main content

Reply to "The ODDS of playing"

Reading this great gymnastics-free thread as the father of a 2017 grad, I wish the world would slow down a bit.  Yes, my 2017  and I have discussed whether he’d like to play college ball, and yes, a couple of baseball people along the way have told him that if he works hard he may have the talent to play at the next level.   But he’s only  been in HS a couple months!  He’s yet to show he can balance his responsibilities and  pull the grades he needs to pull in HS, and he’s yet to play in an official HS game.  Until he walked onto campus in August, his stated goals as a baseball player were simple:  be an impact player, probably on JV as a frosh, definitely on Varsity as a soph.   But he made the fall “varsity” team and one of his teammates was a 2016 who made a verbal to a DI, and a couple more kids he knows from travel either have verbals or are rumored to be close, so I know he’s starting to think a little further ahead.  Or at least he would be if he was healthy.  Unfortunately he has a shoulder injury that is keeping him out of basketball right now, and could  threaten  his spring season.  That’s another thread, but it adds to my feeling that there’s no rush to worry about college.  It'll still be there in 4 years.  I just want the  kid to be able to enjoy playing ball in HS.