Skip to main content

Reply to "The ODDS of playing"

I am a big believer in chasing your dreams and giving it everything you have, but I know the value of being prepared. Through my travels as a professional ball player, I can't tell you how many times players say "well now what am I going to do" once their careers are over. I mentor many student athletes and we talk constantly about a college education. Even in pro ball (this was my 7th season), you can tell the difference between a guy who came out of high school and a guy who went to college quite easily. College allows for kids to grow up and learn to be adults, which is going to be very helpful if one is blessed with the grind of the minor leagues and poor pay checks.

I was went to Oregon State, played very well, won two national titles, and was a high draft pick, but because I got my degree in business I was able to start my own. Now I am still playing baseball but also started a sports education website that helps student athletes in 4 different countries. My company BASE By Pros gives kids connection to pro athletes for advice, helps kids get recruited (because college is so important), and we put on events that connect college coaches with students and parents to explain what college is like and how to prepare to move to the next level.

Really… the odds are against most, but it is even more against those who do not give their heart and passion into the game. This being said, the odds are against those who do not understand what a business is and how to be an adult. Baseball is a business and what the boss says goes. Even if you feel you are the better candidate for a position.. your opinion doesn't really matter when the line up card is built. You can control your work ethic and how you present yourself on and off the field, but the rest isn't up to you. This is why having a college education is super important. Not many guys find it easy to go back to school when they are older, have a family, and working off little finances. Get it done!