Skip to main content

Reply to "The ODDS of playing"

Just read through this post yesterday and finished up today. Trying to get the holidays together

Lots of excellent points being made. And also welcome Mitch its nice to have a players perspective.

I think everyone is different. What works for one player may not work for the other.

I see FF point about being 100% committed.  also agree with TPM that unless your in the game, nobody can judge ones decision.

For me as I have seen the game unfold, I respect the players that stay, and I respect the players that decide to move on and start a different chapter in their lives. No shame in that.

As TPM said and its true its hard, and many glamorize it but its hard work. I don't think players that leave love it less, Maybe they just want to make money, buy a house try life in a different aspect.

I have learned that there is not one right way.

I look back on my sons journey as I am sure many of you have, and I would of never

guessed it went the way it did.

For our family, my son has a degree from an excellent school that he would never of been to without baseball. His friendships and connections are awesome and he loves being an alumni. He also has made friends with some outstanding young men in pro ball.On his teams he played on last year, there were three Cal players, Two USC, a Notre dame(he left baseball for a very good job)Stanford, Duke. Very smart and hardworking men. Had the pleasure of meeting many of them.99.999999 of them, many drafted in top rounds wont make it.

I think as we start this journey and I see it with the new young parents, we try to control and predict how it will end. Nothing could of been more perfect then the plan that has evolved, because God was in that plan from thee moment  he created our sons with his own hands.

I know baseball or no baseball,my son and your sons are precious to us,and whatever they do,how far they go, I don't think its going to matter 20 years from now(I mean unless they make millions)) I think what matters is they conduct themselves as they have so far, hard working men, good work ethics, good families.

The rest they have no control of.

On a side note, a player my son played with at USC drafted in late rounds, like 37th?,on the small side, LF with out much pop,kind of a fringy player as seen by most,I always liked him, he has that unknown tool, anyway he made the 40 man roster for the Cardinals for 2014. He has hit .300 and above at every level, doesn't strike  out really good OBP, if he wasn't a lefty and played MI he probably would make the 25 man.) Anyway it can happen to those players, but others may tire of the grind.

I respect all of them for their hard work and tenacity. many of our boys were told they never would play college let alone Pro ball. They are all success stories to me.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas season, enjoy your families.

baseball is right around the corner or maybe a new path?