Skip to main content

Reply to "The One College Baseball Stat You Can't Google"

@adbono posted:

I will provide a real life example. My son was a 2018 HS grad and PBR ranked him #11 in our state at his position. Of the 10 players ranked ahead of him 2 of them went JuCo. The remaining 8 went to big name 4 year schools (with 1 exception). Two years have gone by and this is what has happened. The 2 that went JuCo were standouts and have advanced to great D1 programs. Of the 8 that went big time out of HS only 3 are still at their original schools - and only 2 have gotten in the field. The other 5 all bounced down to JuCos after 1 year at their dream school - including the top 3 who all had a PG ranking of 9.5 or 10. All 3 were elite prospects and they were not yet good enough to get on the field at Texas A&M, University of Houston, and Texas Tech as freshmen. I say all the time on this board that hardly any 18 year old kids are ready to play at top ranked programs as a freshman. This is true at D1 & D2. Every kid (and parent) thinks they are the one that can do it. After a year they find out they aren’t.

A coach once told me: You get 4 years to play. Do you want to go to a D2 or D3 where you have a chance to compete for playing time all four years? Or, would you rather go to a D1 school where you are going to sit the first year and then up transferring because you didn't play? Meanwhile, after you do transfer, you just spent thirty to sixty thousand dollars to attend some school that you are not going to graduate from anyway, in the process of wasting one of your 4 precious years.