Skip to main content

Reply to "The problem isn't the Little League World Series, it's that we watch it"

First I will say that the same thing is wrong with the LLWS as travel baseball.  Having kids who can be as much as a year older than other kids, at the age of 12 or 13, is just not right.  Kids can grow as much as a foot and gain 50 lbs in that time span.  But more importantly, some have developed muscles and some haven't.  Eliminating anyone who is older the 12 as of the end of LL season would fix the problem, but the games would probably be very boring so LL is never going to do that.  We watch for the side show. 

I remember watching the LLWS when I was 12 or 13 and thinking that these teams weren't very good (except maybe Taiwan).  Sure they had one or two really big kids who if they pitch once a week will dominate other teams.  But overall, back then I was unimpressed.  I am ashamed to say I watched to reinforce my belief that the LL WS was a joke.  

What we maybe fail to realize, I think, is that they are not watched for being good at baseball. They are watched for being a side show. For being something that most people think is kind of a joke. Where one or two big players can dominate, win games and become heroes for a summer and then crawl back into the world of competitive baseball where they aren't standouts because the competition is just better and they can't do things that are absent form their game like hit good curve balls, run the bases, or play OF because the fence  is 400 feet rather than 200 feet.     

I am still ashamed to say I watch to reinforce my belief that the LLWS is a joke, and I think many other people do as well.