Skip to main content

Reply to "The problem isn't the Little League World Series, it's that we watch it"

Chico Escuela posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

My son missed a couple of LL games per season and a few practices because of travel soccer, which ended around the middle of the LL season as I recall.  His coaches weren't thrilled, but they understood he wanted to play both sports. 

Just to add:  My son's travel soccer coaches were not understanding when he needed to miss soccer games for baseball, even as a 10- or 11-year old.  Ultimately that is a big reason he quit travel soccer (earlier than I would have liked, but I'm glad he chose baseball &nbsp.  And that's another plus to LL: it's generally a low-pressure environment.  Kids I coached missed the occasional game for soccer, hockey, swim meets, class field trips...  Some travel coaches would be ok with that, some would not; but at least in my son's LL, no coach would hold those absences against a player.

Chances are my son was a better soccer player than baseball player. He played both in high school. His focus was on baseball. He played travel in the summer and some fall ball. He worked out focused on baseball year round. He did attend an elite goalie camp during the day in the summer.

At U12 and U16 he was approached by very premier programs. The catch was they wanted him to quit all other sports, play soccer year round and not play high school soccer with his friends. At U12 I told them no way before it was a choice for my son. I don’t believe he would have chosen to quit baseball and basketball. At U16 he told them no way. Baseball mattered too much.