Skip to main content

Reply to "The problem isn't the Little League World Series, it's that we watch it"

DIGGUM, we tried with my oldest two sons and it was a disaster.  They threw too hard, they might hit somebody, the swing too hard, they are too competitive, it's not fair having them together on a team, and on and on and on.  It was a joke when you are trying to play against a team that has no one who can throw a strike or if they could it was 50 mph when they were seeing 75 in travel ball.  That is why players leave LL.  I know there are a few competitive leagues where it is worth it but that is not the case in most small towns.  it is a joke.  It has a place but just not in the competitive conversation.  Not mentioning all the local politics that come into play.  The good ole boy system where the guy who knows nothing about baseball other than he watches the Braves has been a coach for 30 years.  And he is the president so he gets the first pick each year.  Again, I know there are a few that do it right but they are the freak not the ordinary. 

I also believe the world has changed and so many of those kids who play only LL all the way until 14 are way behind when it comes to being able to be competitive.  So many of them cannot make a MS or HS team because they do not know how to pick-off or get a lead or swing a bat and the homeruns they hit in LL drop in front of the outfielders in travel ball or MS.  Or like several they are not athletic enough to play on the big field. 

Again, LL has it's place and that is as a recreational event but don't make it out to be a competitive baseball league or that those players in the LL WS are the best 12 or 13 year olds out there.  There are a few but most could not even make a top travel team roster.