Skip to main content

Reply to "The reality of the transfer portal"

I've looked at SEC rosters that are published and what I can find they are bringing in as transfers and juco guys plus their recruiting class.  I don't think there will be more than 1-2 freshman per team with any significant playing time including midweek games.  But i also think most are missing the other misfortunes and that is the past 2 years.  Most of them worked and waited and now will still be waiting because so many filled immediate voids with juco and transfer portal.  For example, I will use UT's roster.

Entire starting outfield came back.  I will talk what they should be not any covid years or redshirts.  All will have extra year from covid unless they are sophomores or younger.  2 juniors and a fifth year.  Back-up is a sophomore who had a great summer but never could break through for an entire game last year.  So he or one of the starters will go somewhere batted over .400 in summer and .310 in spring.

2nd, ss, and 3rd were drafted.  First baseman coming back as senior   Sophomore catcher who was bullpen last year.  Had a transfer catcher but he has already gone.  Fifth year OF who started may move to catcher and open spot for someone.  2 juco all american shortstops transferring in along with a juco third baseman.

Pitchers

Senior RHP bullpen guy who had great year 2.82 era in 51 innings.  Sophomore RHP threw 98 innings as starter throws consistently 96-98.  Junior RHP 1.81 era in 34 innings.  Junior LHP with 42 innings out of bullpen.  Sixth year LHP with 39 innings out of bullpen.  Junior RHP who sat out last year from juco will come out of bullpen over 100.  Friday starter from Missouri transfer portal.  Saturday starter from Georgia Southern transfer portal at 98-100.  Freshman who could have been top 1-2 round guy who turned down draft was 102 last year.  Plus there will be 10 guys who got limited time last year most with good numbers.

Those to fill roster:

Backup shortstop junior transferred from juco before last season.from last year who started 10 games and batted .292.   OF junior who got some playing time last year and has great speed.  Junior infielder who hit the cover off the ball last fall but never quite found it in the spring.  Junior infielder who hit well in the spring just never could break through playing time batted .357 in spring.  Senior utility player who started some at third freshman year batted .310 last year.

Mine is there are very few places for guys to land for freshmen coming in but also for the guys that are already there.  Our starters and bullpen are pretty set with guys from last year and transfer portal.  I'm not sure the freshman who should have been first rounder will be a starter this year.  The transfer portal has allowed good guys on bad teams to leave and land on great teams.  But it has shafted guys who are there working and waiting.  We had several really good guys leave this summer because there was "no room at the inn."