Skip to main content

Reply to "The reality of the transfer portal"

@PitchingFan posted:

.  I don't know that you can call it over-recruiting because the recruitment numbers when they were recruited were not out of proportion but when you add in the transfer portal and the larger number of juco players moving now the numbers of new guys coming in are higher than normal.  But as has been said here how do you turn down a proven older guy for a college freshman that has no proven experience.

Exactly.  My D3 freshman kid was recruited to come in to compete right away for playing time because both the starting 1B & 3B were Seniors last year.  Coach had no idea that both (both of them starters since their Sophomore year) would come back for a 5th year, but they both did.

So it’ll be a longer shot for my kid to get playing time as a freshman.  Do I think that’s “unfair” or feel bad for him?  Absolutely not!!!  College Baseball is survival of the fittest, and this experience will just make him tougher.  He’ll need to just work hard every day and be ready if/when opportunities come.

Plus, the coaches have had him playing 1B, 3B, RF, LF, and DH this Fall, so he’s gaining extra value with versatility and can potentially at least be depth at multiple positions.

Similar situations are happening nationwide.  It’s like that for everyone.