Skip to main content

Reply to "The reality of the transfer portal"

@used2lurk posted:

Wow. Thank you for the breakdown...great info and depth. I have a pretty good idea what school you are at and while my kid is not good enough to play there when we drove thru the city that your team is located in twice this summer he did not even want to drive an extra 10 min to see campus and ballpark. The primary reason is the rumor he and I heard about over recruiting (rumor from a couple of others in college baseball that know more than me).

I would love to see this for several other teams...at all levels from JUCO - D1.

Mine is at a highly ranked JUCO.   First thing I've heard from friends who went in to the portal from D1's is that the top ranked JUCO's call immediately.  With that comes a lot of competition.  So I will try and do a similar breakdown as Pitching Fan did but I will do last year and my expectation of this year.

2021:  We had four D1 transfers, but only one got significant innings and he was an SEC transfer.  We had three Freshman log significant innings.  In the field we had 3 D1 transfers, two ended up starting as Freshmen and they were the only two that got on the field.  Everyone else was a 2nd year player or  a 3rd year. 

2022:  We have a lot of transfers.  We have four SEC transfers and three of those will start with one battling it out for the last spot.  We may have a Freshman start or at least rotate at catcher.   He looks like the only Freshman with a chance of playing time.  On the mound we might have one or two log some innings but it will mostly be 2nd year guys with a few 3rd year guys mixed in.

It's tough out there on Freshmen.  Rosters are big and playing time is hard to come by.  My advice is find a place you like and be patient.  Work hard and do everything you are supposed to do off of the field.