Skip to main content

Reply to "The Robert Stock Experiment"

MN-Mom, actually he is currently the age of the average high school senior! So to me, what he's accomplished so far is extraordinary.

For anyone to call his performance to date "lackluster" shows either some axe to grind or complete ignorance of the situation. How many high school juniors could have started in the PAC 10 and hit .250? Not many. Maybe just this one.

I don't know if he would have been abused as a pitcher at Agoura, but from what I've read it does appear that he sees himself in the Wieters mold -- catcher/hitter first, pitcher second. Moving on to USC allowed him to focus more on the catching/hitting development. Had he stayed in HS, he most certainly would've been more prominent as a pitcher. And though Wieters pulled off pitching while also catching, he was a closer. It's tough to excel as a catcher when your arm is dead tired from pitching 5-7 innings a day or two earlier.

Here's a kid who, two years younger than the average freshman, started and held his own against top college competition. Now, one year younger than the average freshman, he's showing tremendous progress. Who knows how this year will end up, or how much progress he'll show through the end of the 2009 season. But if he ended up following in Wieters' $6 million footsteps, it wouldn't surprise me.

And BTW, this kid has already proved he can hit with wood. I watched the AFLAC game on TV in 2006, and his bomb to just left of center (he bats lefty) proved that.