Skip to main content

Reply to "The role of the advisor for the college student"

quote:
It appears that things are a lot different from HS to pro than from college to pro.

I say yes.... but it does depend on the player and his situation. While I do agree with FBM that the agent label does indicate a business relationship the actual contract is not signed or agreed upon until after the fact. The NCAA knows the players and agents aren’t signing contracts before the draft therefore you don’t hear about college players being penalized for having a relationship with an agent. College players aren’t walking on eggshells like the high school players. At my son’s college it was not uncommon to see an agent in the stands talking to a parent or waiting to talk to “their” player. Another aspect that needs to be discussed is the college coach's interpretation of the players draft situation and how that effects his future plans. In my son's case he was asked what he was going to do if drafted and he indicated he wanted to turn pro if he were drafted in the top ten rounds. The next day the coach told him he had good news and bad news. The good news was they were sure he would be drafted in the top ten rounds and the bad news was his scholarship was gone for his senior year. Fair enough.
Last edited by Fungo