Skip to main content

Reply to "The role of the advisor for the college student"

IMO, I think that the fact that my son had an advisor, that the transition went better- He had someone to ask questions of, even the stupid questions so his parents would quit nagging him about the details!. Seriously, even draftees beyond the first 10 rounds can get some serious monies. The "advisor" fees are usually based on percentages,( I hear they are 3% 4% or 5% usually but vary still more) thus the fees are "affordable" My son's fees weren't due until the bonus checks came (in fact the bonus check comes in multiple checks spread out over time and the fees are also spread proportionately) I think my son, who didnt want to "go it alone" and his parents interviewed 4 companies/individuals of the 10 or so who showed interest in serving him and gave the whole thing plenty of time to choose the "right" fit as an advisor. In fact, son said he wanted the decission done by the end of January preceeding the draft, and the decision was announced and calls went out on the last day of January.

The scout didnt really want to deal with an advisor, but 1) son indicated he wanted to play no matter how high or low the bonus was and 2) son insisted that any negotiations were civil (he was the one who has to work for that company (team) thus didnt want the pressure that nasty negotiations could bring) so the scout reported that he didnt mind the advisor since things went smoothly for him.

Son is very comportable with the advisor/agent he selected. I also would offer my recommendation of this advisor should I be asked (but never over this board- just not the right place to advertise and "sell' services!)

My last 2-cents: Dont undersell your player's potential- you will NEVER really know what round and position that he will be selected until the draft is over. Many, many players feel that they will go in the top few rounds, but fall way off for "whatever" reasons. AND there are a few that get drafted much sooner then they "think" they will. ((In our case, we felt deep down that the top 10 rounds were probably out of the question due to poor stats and poor performances his junior year. If we didnt get an advisor based on that "get one only if you are going in the top ten" rule of thumb, we would have been "up the creek".... but son was drafted in the top 10 rounds, and he had advisor (who by the way kept telling son that the top 10 rounds was realistic- a very positive and steady influence all along) The scolly could be in jepoardy, as indicated in Fungos post tho, but in many programs, the seniors scollys are in jeopardy anyway- draft or no draft, bascally because he's a ....well a senior, where else would he go to play as a senior, who would accept a transfer player with only one year left who didn't make the impact to be considered for draft? ((Before you beat me up, I know there are plently of players who have a choice and stay for their senior year...but they are the exception, not the rule.
Last edited by Doubledad