Skip to main content

Reply to "The role of the high school coach"

Here's our story...
Against the advise ("no need, TOO early" naysayer gang), I signed my son up for his first showcase the summer between Freshman & Sophomore year...Lots of gossip because an "upperclassman's" parents were there, too...the boys became friends on the hs team. Son was the first freshman in history of school to be called up to varsity about 3 weeks into the preseason. He's the only 4 yr letterman in 27 years of the school.
Out of the blue, in Oct. (of sophomore yr!), got a call from Jim Arp, PG, asking if son could be in Ft. Meyers in 3 days for WWBA Underclass tournament. Well, I had never heard of PG...so, I checked them out! Son was 15, going to play 17U...
So, from that tournament, I got a call from Wisconsin Blazers...can he come back to Jupiter in 2 weeks for WWBA 18U? OH, my God! What is going on??? (HS coach & others, still saying lots of $$$ & too soon! Colleges are looking at "older recruits"
Needless to say, he went...
The next summer between sophomore & Jr. Year, his select coach took the team to both these same events, son played Area Code, PG Top Prospect, Texas Scout Team...things just started busting loose.
All this to say, a parents "intuition" about their sons' skill level & HIS hearts desire lead to one phone call that set him on a path to higher & higher levels of play, which lead to the best exposure one could hope for, which has resulted in him being at Tulane as a 2 way player as a freshman. He dropped in the draft from 5th round to 23....that's fine with him...He's doing what he wanted to do...living this part of his dream...playing ball in college!

Follow your heart & don't look back...HS coaches are...hs coaches!