Skip to main content

Reply to "The run was phenomenal, but it's over"

Steve A. posted:

BBALLMAN,

Awesome, just incredible post & journey. Thanks so much for sharing. I am going to share some details of my journey that may help with this transition, maybe not.

I also played thru college 4 years & was fortunate enough to get drafted (late) & grinded it out for 7 years in pro ball. I can tell you that, absolutely, without question, the most fun I had playing was in Little League, HS, College, in that order with Pro Ball a distant 4th. Baseball is often about Dad's & their sons & your journey is no exception. My Pro Ball career shattered my relationship with my Dad when I voluntarily retired after getting married & having 2 small children at home & seeing little light at the end of the tunnel as a "non prospect, organizational player." We did not speak for 5 years after being as close as you can be for all of the trip prior.

Baseball has done so much for your son, as you detail, as well as created a bond with you that is obviously amazing but will be tested now as you move forward. He will be searching for an identity & meaning & questioning everything he has done & why it has turned out this way. He may not discover the answer in short order. Be patient. Time will reveal the true meaning of his journey, as it did for me.

Best wishes & keep being an awesome Dad.

I had to read this twice, I assumed I misread the first time. crazy.