Skip to main content

Reply to "The run was phenomenal, but it's over"

Steve A. posted:

BBALLMAN,

Baseball has done so much for your son, as you detail, as well as created a bond with you that is obviously amazing but will be tested now as you move forward. He will be searching for an identity & meaning & questioning everything he has done & why it has turned out this way. He may not discover the answer in short order. Be patient. Time will reveal the true meaning of his journey, as it did for me.

Best wishes & keep being an awesome Dad.

Thanks for the perspective Steve.  With every new stage of life, there are challenges.  I'm sure my son's and my relationship will be tested and head in a new direction.  Much of our discussion has been about baseball - how he's doing, suggestions for mechanics improvements, encouragement to hang in there and be a good teammate, what other teams in his conference are doing and how things are looking for his team, etc...  So, a big part of what has bonded us will be gone.  It's a little scary and challenging.  I know he feels some dissonance about  where he stands now as well and I don't want to bring stuff up that will make that worse for him.  

I'm sure your dad went through a tough time, as you did when the ride came to an end and maybe he just didn't know how to deal with it.  You said it was 5 years before you talked again.  Hopefully, that period is over.  

Anyway, I'm sure things will get less emotional over time.  It's a little better already, but reading some of your responses has brought the tears streaming again...  Thank you all for responding.