Skip to main content

Reply to "The run was phenomenal, but it's over"

mmm1531 posted:

bballman

The emotions that you go through are incredible, not only for your own son but the group of seniors he started with are all like sons.

Graduation ceremony for the school took place during the last game, our son sent a video home yesterday where the boys had there own ceremony, Although rather informal,  crude, and hilarious it showed the love that actually exists between these teammates.

I can relate to these as well.  When my son was a freshman, there were 10 other guys who came in with him.  Either other true freshmen or RS freshmen at the school for the 1st time.  5 of them made it all the way through.  4 of them just finished their careers and one got a redshirt along the way and will be back next year.  There are also a number of guys who came in the following year and have been on the team with my son for 3 years.  I'm a guy who likes to get to know the players.  I talk to them after the games, give them encouragement, we go out to dinner together after the games and on away trips, etc...  I'm going to miss all those guys as well.  There were 12 seniors this year.  It was tough on all of us.  Could hardly say anything to the other parents we have gotten close to or I'd start balling.  That last day was a tough one...

The team was actually out of town at the Conference Tournament during the formal graduation ceremonies back at the school.  The parents of those guys actually graduating had a get together at a restaurant and there must have been 60 people there between players, parents and girlfriends.  It was one of the funnest get togethers ever!!  You could just look at the kids and the smiles on their faces and the way they interacted with each other that you could really tell they were a family...  

My son said when they went to the locker room after their last game for their last meeting, the coach actually broke down while he was talking to them.  He's been coaching this team for 19 years and said this is the best group of guys he's ever had.  Son said everyone started crying...  

Man, there are a million stories I could tell from all through the years.  Every time someone brings up another aspect, it gets me thinking again.  I'll have to stop responding to everyone or I'll get super dehydrated.