Skip to main content

Reply to "THE STRIKE ZONE"

quote:
Originally posted by Texan:
I'm not sure about that. The top of the zone used to be considerably higher and they still managed to score runs.

It was also in the rule book that the batter got to define his own zone at each at bat. If the pitcher could not meet the batters criteria the pitch was a called "ball". In other words if the batter preferred his pitches at the "belt" then it was up to the pitcher to deliver them there.

Should we go back to that too?

I somehow think that if Roger Clemens was given a strike chest high then that would pretty much spell the end for any chance the batter might have at to hit off him. I have a feeling that a 95 mph tailing fastball just under the armpits is not an easy thing to hit.

I like how the zone has evolved just fine. There seems to be a pretty good balance between the pitchers and hitters if you ask me. We've alreay brought in the fences (just look at Yankee Stadium - for those of you who have never been there when you walk through the monuments in the OF that used to be the ACTUAL playing field years ago!).

Again, as a pitcher OR a batter all you can ever ask for is consistency.