Skip to main content

Reply to "“The ways we can turn over rosters!”"

I have an issue with grossly over recruiting. But outside this it’s survival of the fittest. Sometimes fittest comes down to being mentally tough to deal with what’s thrown at you rather than how talented you are. Everyone at the school is talented.

I believe players and parents hearing what they want to believe to be true rather than what the coaching staff is saying is not the coaching staff’s fault.

My kid’s high school puts a lot of boys and girls into college sports. The guidance counselors understand the process and the game. When it’s been identified a player is a college prospect the guidance counselors give the athletes a handout. The focus of the handout is do you want to go play where you are more likely to star (D2, D3) or where you might fight for your position or roster spot every year (D1, but can happen at every level relative to the talent).

My daughter (softball) was a P5 four year fourth outfielder. But she played a reasonable amount. She was where she wanted to be academically for her major.

My son won a P5 starting position mid freshman season when a previous year and a half starter stumbled. He returned soph year to see a JuCo All American at his position. He had hit well freshman year. He won another position. The next year he faced competition from incoming freshman who was  state Gatorade player of the year. He fended off the competition. Stay mentally tough and you will be fine. Stay focused. Stay mentally sharp. You hit, you play. It helps to be versatile enough to play anywhere.

Last edited by RJM