Skip to main content

Reply to "“The ways we can turn over rosters!”"

I started this thread because of the sense that Riley’s comments reflect another new and very outspoken attitude about winning at the P5 (at least) level. Also extremely important to recognize the perspectives are completely approved, and in fact supported by their AD.

As I post this I wonder how Stanford and Cal., for instance, will respond to this. It is hard to conceive either will pay their football coach $10M per year, buy their mansions, provide 24 family access to private jets, etc.

To me (and our son is done with his playing and D1 coaching career), the message isn’t that every coach in college baseball coach is a used car salesman, a bad guy and, especially, not to be believed. Heck, in my view some lose their jobs because players do not carry their side of the bargain!
Riley is being very up front in the goals his boss has given him (winning and playing in the Championship game every year-or he gets fired too).

We may be starting to see  a fracture in D1 as I really cannot fathom Cal, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and others adopting this level of pay, etc.

In the interim I would tend to think every D1 potential player needs to recognize he is being recruited as expendable if he does not produce and perform.

He needs to have THE goal, and respond, of being a better player today than he was yesterday. He needs to be early for lifting and stay late. He needs to constantly be there for early work for practice and stay late. The same is true for all team activities…and he needs to compete and succeed in the classroom. He can never relax. He MUST produce every day and probably be even more productive every week of his college career, if he plays in programs which adopt the philosophy which USC and others are doing in football

PS-I very much question if USC will translate the philosophy to their baseball program-but UCLA may be a very different answer!

Last edited by infielddad