Skip to main content

Reply to "“The ways we can turn over rosters!”"

@adbono posted:

@infielddad wrote, “in the interim I would think every D1 potential player needs to recognize that he is being recruited as expendable if he does not produce and perform.”

Wait, what?!?  I mean, you are not wrong but this is hardly news. Top 25 D1 programs have operated this way for decades. The past two years may have put the spotlight on the issue more than in the past but nothing new to see here.

Well, it is always a HSBBW communication issue when someone takes one part of the post to question the thought.  Here was the entire thought designed to help those on the way up:

"He needs to have THE goal, and respond, of being a better player today than he was yesterday. He needs to be early for lifting and stay late. He needs to constantly be there for early work for practice and stay late. The same is true for all team activities…and he needs to compete and succeed in the classroom. He can never relax. He MUST produce every day and probably be even more productive every week of his college career, if he plays in programs which adopt the philosophy which USC and others are doing in football,"

As to your point, it is overly broad. ASU and UofA, for instance have certainly acted this way. Stanford and Vanderbilt-not so much. Over time, with college coaching salaries increasing especially in the P5, the concept of turning over rosters has been much more cut throat.  I was on this board many years back when UNLV publicly hired a Las Vegas coach and pretty much cut any player and every NLI out of the area and it was a real shocker on this site. It was not decades ago.

With that said, since my longevity on this site is for decades, I personally think it is a bit rare for a college coach like Riley, backed by the AD, to be so open and brazen on turning over rosters as the method for immediate success.  Washington did it a few years back in baseball, also, but it was far less public.

Last edited by infielddad