Skip to main content

Reply to "The younger kid"

I’ve got two boys, 4 years apart with the more athletic being the younger of the two. I think it’s typical for the younger siblings to push to compete with the older ones giving them an edge with kids their own age. It can be especially frustrating for the older siblings if the younger is physically gifted.

With mine the 4-year gap in age coupled with diametrically opposed interests (gaming vs sports) and social groups didn’t bring them close as kids, but they’ve become closer as adults. My eldest is a senior software engineer, leveraging his passion for computers into a terrific career. I think the goal is to support your kids unique strengths (in my case, coding camps and sports training) and try to help them find their best selfs (meaning being a good people).

I don’t have a lot of video of my kids because my passion is still photography. However, this week I found a video of a pitching lesson at age 9 (18 years ago) – I took it but never watched it until earlier this week. I sent the kid a copy, he sent a small clip back (attached) with a couple comments “I moved pretty well, someone should have got me a lighter glove and I still hate the windup” lol.  

At age nine he throws better than I ever did, lol!

Attachments

Videos (1)
I Hate the Windup!