Skip to main content

Reply to "Theory on weightlifting"

Ok

what your coach is trying to incorporate is an incredibly beneficial training module called Imperfect Training.

Quote from a great John Davies article:

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.c...hing_for_john_davies

"Imperfect training means no machine training and no isolation movements. Bands are imperfect; training in grass or sand is imperfect; pushing a wheelbarrow is imperfect. Perfect training only works in the perfect world, which doesn't exist.

Nonconforming objects are another example of imperfection training. Try performing power cleans with sandbags.

Many laboratory studies involving training and sports are flawed because they're done perfectly in a perfect environment. Sport isn't a perfect environment so the value of these studies is limited.

Although Davies is often criticized for his opinions on imperfection training, he says that everyone is starting to incorporate these ideas. Right now there are equipment makers about to come out with squat racks and benches that have a slight wobble to them. Davies predicts that many of his critics will end up paying $4000 for this equipment.

The "dive start power clean" is an example of imperfect training. To perform, stand in front of a barbell. Ask someone to clap their hands. When you hear the clap, grab the bar without looking down and fire up a power clean. Don't take the time to set your hand position perfectly. You can even close your eyes when performing this exercise. The claps should come randomly and surprise you."

My view on this-You should not be able to nudge the bar, because the bar should be moving to fast for you to touch it. How do you swing? fast and controlled. how should bench press be performed for maximal force production? Fast and controlled.

I am not going to go into force production and baseball weightlifting, you can pm me if you would like to know more.

Now, onto stabilization

Stabilization, especially in the shoulder capsule and core(no not abs), is a completely underlooked and sometimes untouched aspect of weight training in most baseball programs. Shoulder and core stability is crucial for a baseball player for the following reasons[LIST]

throwing velocity

generating power in the mid section

injury prevention

fixing muscular imbalances

correcting posture

Ways to train this
-Overhead squats
-Walking Figure 8's
-hand stand
-Turkish get up (preferably barbell)
-Corkscrew and Windmill
- Core holds(especially the bridge)

incorporate those, I would stop what your doing, even if you dont agree on the bar speed issue.

If he insists on it, try bench pressing on a stability ball with dumbells.

Good luck

There are certain ways