Skip to main content

Reply to "There is a program for every player"

This comment is more "one man's impression" than it is fact-based, none the less . . .

My impression is there may be more opportunity for a player like your son outside the state of Texas. The reason is that Texas (along with Florida, California, and a few other southern states) turns out LOTS of baseball talent. Much of that talent ends up at the D3 schools in Texas. [Only the best of the best ends up at the D1's in TX.] If your son is willing to go a bit farther from home, I believe the number of possibilities will go up. Many states in the midwest & the east have a college (it seems) in nearly every town of 1500 people. The ratio of schools to number of HS baseball players wanting to continue appears to favor a look to the north &/or east of Texas.

Again, not completely a data-derived opinion, but here are a few data points (based on 5 mineutes of web searching) to illustrate:

Texas has a population of 20.8 mil and has 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That is 1 school for each 800,000 people.

Ohio has a population of 11.3 mil and 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That's the same number of schools, but about half as many "potential players", 453,000 / school.

West Virginia has a population of 1.8 million and 14 D2 and D3 schools. That's only ~128,000 people per school.

Understand, I am making no inference about the ability of players in Ohio vs WVA vs TX. I'm just pointing out the numbers say there are more possibilities to play college ball there than in TX. And we aren't even looking at NAIA or JUCO ball.

And I'm not ajusting for the relative ages of the populations in each state. You get the point....
Last edited by Up in the Stands