Skip to main content

Reply to "They said it!!!"

Oldbat, very good post. Let us not forget that many posting here have agendas. Not every travel team has the connections of a Tigers, DBat, or Mustangs.

Often in these threads it takes on a black or white tone. Well, it is not black or white. Every parent has to do what they think is right. Coaches have to do what is best for the team. So, who is right and who is wrong? It is not black and white.

I am a big fan of Sam Carpenter, but one of his coaches did not like my son and bad mouthed him to college coaches (and still does). They told me so. My son never went to a showcase by PG while he was with the Mustangs and was a team guy. He went to one with Brian Rupe after Farmington. He never got the promotion from the Mustangs. It hurt him. After the move to Florida, he got the calls from the LSU's and Miami's. He had already commited to the a school and said no even though he had not signed the nli yet. We made a commitment. Funny, with this guy badmouthing him, he got no offers from the better Texas schools. After going to Florida and playing with a team that promoted him (The Central Florida Renegades) he started getting the calls.The Mustangs hurt his chances. He would have been better off showcasing, but we made a commitment. Being a team guy was not in his best interest. We did it anyway. Keep that in mind.

So, let's not all condemn everyone who leaves a team or showcases just because it makes it harder for you to recruit players who want to maximize their chances. Times are changing. The way it is. Bashing parents of kids because you don't like their decisions? I don't get it.

As far as stats go. Who cares? People in America chase dreams. Do all do it correctly? No. I would never kill a kids dream just to have him play on my team. Make your rules and don't take kids who don't follow them.

The Florida Bombers, arguably one of the best teams in the country every year, let their players go. Why are they wrong? All of their kids go to major colleges and get drafted. It works for them. More than one way to skin a cat!

I remember a thread where a coach did not like Perfect Game tournaments as well. Has the tuned changed after going to one. There is more than one way to skin a cat.