Skip to main content

Reply to "Things I love about players parents..."

My youngest son has always been one of the best players on every team he has played on. This year as a Freshman he was outstanding. He hit just under .400 in conference play and earned outstanding defensive player of the year. This summer he was invited to play on an 18u showcase team. For the first time in his life he is not one of the best players. Now he is holding his own playing outstanding behind the plate and he is hitting very well. But this team is full of D-1 signees that will be in college this fall. He is loveing it. He has learned so much from these other kids and their approach to the game. He is playing about 1/2 the innings splitting time with an 05 catcher that is a stud. He is learning to bull pen and catch so many different looks. Low 90's rhp and lefties with outstanding cbs sliders etc. He is learning how to sit the bench and stay in the game regardless of the situation. As a parent I have enjoyed watching him play but I have also enjoyed watching the other players as well. He is also learning how to make every ab count because he doesnt know how many he will get. Some games he might get 4 and some games only 1. I try to keep my mouth shut in the stands and just watch the game. Its hard not to coach from the stands Ill tell you that. But I keep it to myself. One things for sure the parents of these top level players seem to be much more in tune with the game and reality than the parents of the not so talented players. Its a new experience for me just showing up at the games and watching the kids play. But to tell you the truth I am really enjoying it. Ill be back at it soon enough. He is very fortunate to have the coaches that he has this summer and the teamates he is around.