Skip to main content

Reply to "thinking about giving up the game"

quote:
Originally posted by smithers505:
we're debating whether it'd be better for 2012 (who, frankly, doesn't stand a chance of getting drafted unless he grows three inches) to choose a D3 school and continue his playing career, or just play one more summer and use his academic credentials to attend somewhere like vanderbilt or duke. he cried tonight when he thought of not playing anymore--i'm honestly torn. if anybody wants to know, he missed his junior season with tendinitis, and he's been injured before; when healthy, he's a low-80s LHP who also happened to score a 35 on ACT

Getting back to the subject. My son had the same thoughts at the start of his sr. year along with about the same stats as your son, but was a catcher now turned pitcher. He is now entering his soph. year playing ball for for a good academic school here in the north east. All he talked about this past summer was his love of playing college baseball and getting a good education at the same time. He was a recruited D-1 player but did not want the commitment that a D-1 baseball program requires, so he chose the D-3 path and is loving life.There are plenty of schools that offer great educations so I would not get hung up the name of a school but the decision to not play ball in college may become his biggest regret.