Skip to main content

Reply to "thinking about giving up the game"

I don't know if this post will help or not. But I figure it can't hurt. When I was in hs I was very good at baseball. I was very good at football. But I loved football and only liked baseball. So my goal was to play college football and then star in the NFL. I was limited in my options coming out of hs not because of a lack of offers. I had several to go and play both football and baseball. I was limited because I didn't take care of business in the class room. This is not an issue for your son though. So my options were JUCO football or baseball or go to work.

I couldn't get in the schools that offered me and decided I didn't want to go to a JUCO to play football. So I went to work. I didn't mind the job I had. What I did mind was waking up at night wondering. Wondering if I could have. Should have. Would have. It was driving me crazy. I had to know. And I didn't want to be 35 like so many people I knew and have that same old story. "If I had _____________." "I would have but ___________." "I should have but____________." I wanted to know.

So I saved my money and walked on to that JUCO that offered me the year before. I wanted to know the answer to those questions and I wanted to be able to live with myself not just now but for the rest of my life. I didn't want to be one of those guys with that same old story. I wanted to be able to say I did.

So now when I look in the mirror I know the answer to that question. And I am so glad that I did answer it when I had the opportunity to answer it.

There are many things I can still go back and do I have never done. But you can never go back and answer that question "could I have" "should I have" "would I have" if you pass on this opportunity you have in front of you. You better know for sure you can look in the mirror when its too late and be able to live with it. If not you better get off your butt and go play college baseball.

This is just my opinion. But no one is going to have to look in that mirror and answer these questions but you. So in reality your the only one that truly matters in this. Good luck