Skip to main content

Reply to "thinking about giving up the game"

Coach May that is absolutely a great story.

I had a similar experience, but the class room wasn't the issue, I didn't take care of business pushing away from the dinner table soon enough (still have that problem, go figure!)

I can say though that I was the fastest 238 lb. 2B in the State of Michigan my senior year. I may have been the only 238 lb. 2B, but what the heck, it still sounds good (to me) when I tell it to people who ask about my baseball skills. I should've continued playing catcher, but the coach got tired of seeing the ball spin in the dirt at least 6 feet in front of second on rainbow throw downs.

So coach made me a 2B. The throw was a lot shorter and I made up for my size with great hands.

I always say my son got all of his athletic abilities from his mother, except for inheriting my great hands.

I digress - I did almost try out for the baseball team when I transferred my junior year to a small Iowa NAIA school, but when I went to the first meeting, I looked around the room at guys that had been playing all summer and said to myself - are you crazy? Back to dominating as Pitcher in slow pitch softball - I finally found my calling for that rainbow arc.

I don't regret much - other than I should have had better nutritional standards, more for my healths sake than for sports. I agree with Coach May, you just need to be sure and know if you can live with your decision and not regret it years later. It all fades over time as other things become more important.