Skip to main content

Reply to "Thinking Out loud"

I disagree on principle to the travel ball thing to some extent.  The top ranked teams in any age group in USSSA are still teaching mechanics.  I can guarantee you that the top 10 teams in each age group major division are teaching mechanics, where to be and real baseball.  The problem is travel ball and even HS baseball has become watered down.  We get so caught up in everybody should play and get a trophy that we have watered down the competitiveness overall.  The level of the top kids is probably higher than ever before but the overall level is going down.  There are kids playing travel ball that have no business playing travel ball and probably can't succeed at rec ball.  There are kids starting on or playing HS that have no business playing.  I have kids coming to me for lessons because their travel coach can't teach them how to hit, throw or catch.  It is ridiculous.  But I also have a local HS Varsity HC that told his players it is not my job to teach you how to pitch, hit, or field a ball.  Then what is his job?