Skip to main content

Reply to "This is the world today"

Completely agree that the baseball (probably most college sports) recruiting world has completely changed.  Even the athlete’s campus(es) experience is probably going to be drastically altered.

Agree with much of the detail that adbono shared.  Much of what I see on the ground is inline with what adbono has shared in the past.

Most of these changes really are driven in large part to the change of the transfer portal.  Studs and developing studs are getting more then one bite at the apple.  This will negatively effect former or non-developing studs.

Where I differ is on NIL.  Most of the comments have had a underlying assumption which I think we will find to be false.  The underlying assumption is that the NIL will be used for athletes to monetize themselves by selling widgets like professional athletes have always done.  I propose that is wrong, what we will find is that boosters will find ways to use NIL to get kids on campus to better their teams, who cares if they sell widgets.  All these multimillion dollar facilities that used to attract kids where paid for by boosters.  Now boosters can skip the middle man and just pay the kid.  This is actually a good thing.  We have all complained about 11.7 for 35 slots.  Now the market can take care of the issue.  Yes it will be more capitalistic, and college sports will look different, but that might just be a good thing.