Skip to main content

Reply to "This is the world today"

Well, this is exactly the kind of thing I mean.  In the business world, no-one would bat an eye at taking money away from injured players.  Colleges are supposed to be different.  If they are not, then the sports teams should not be part of the college.

Personally I am leaning towards any school with an NIL collective (i.e. not just individuals monetizing their personality) disengaging the teams completely from the school.  Allow them to keep the "brand name" for a fee, but then just run them like businesses, and pay the athletes with booster money.  Don't make the athletes be students.  Call them what they are.  Would fans care if the "Ohio State" football team players were students? or the "LSU" baseball players?

Now boosters can skip the middle man and just pay the kid.  This is actually a good thing.  We have all complained about 11.7 for 35 slots.  Now the market can take care of the issue.  Yes it will be more capitalistic, and college sports will look different, but that might just be a good thing.  

Just don't call it "college sports" because that's not what it is.